- This page is considered a guideline on CoffeeMud's Wiki and is politely stolen from the Greatest Wiki of them All, Wikipedia
It illustrates standards or behaviors which many editors agree with in principle and generally follow. Feel free to update the page as needed, but please use the discussion page to propose major changes.
Wikipedia, writers and editors contribute lots of brilliant prose, but occasionally some patent nonsense. This falls into a couple of categories:
- Total nonsense--i.e., text or random characters that has no assignable meaning at all.
- Content that, while apparently meaningful after a fashion, is so completely and irremediably confused that no intelligent person can be expected to try to make heads or tails of it.
Not to be confused with...
The following, while often regrettable, are not patent nonsense and are completely not OK..:
- Patented content or copyrighted works (nonsense or not)
- Really poorly written content
- Partisan screed, or opinion masquerading as fact
- Religious excogitations
- Incompetent and/or immature material
- Flaming or Flame bait entries
- Obscene remarks.
- Fictional story material (characters, settings, etc. which are only interesting to fans)
Dealing with patent nonsense
There are various ways to deal with total nonsense - use your good judgement to decide which is most appropriate:
- Replace it with wikipedia:brilliant prose.
- Remove it from the article if there is anything left in the article after that.
However, if anybody objects, because they believe that the content is not total nonsense, then it's best to discuss the issue with them, and try to reach a consensus. In particular, if someone says that they think they can rework the "nonsense" into something worthwhile, then please give them some time and space to do so.